10 Tips On How To Get Hired By The Best Studios And Get Paid More
See similar blog posts
Have you ever wondered how people get hired at the AAA big boys studios’? We are here to let you know that top-tier companies don’t always or rarely post on job boards, they have us the ‘recruiters’, the ‘head hunters’ to seek out those of you, the candidates that are not necessarily seeking (yet!) a new challenge… So, if you happen to bump into a recruiter with an interesting job offer or you’re actively looking for a new gig, here are 10 quick tips to help you accelerate and get the best results working with us the recruiters. Enjoy the read!
- Recruiters are all around you. Just search ‘gaming recruiter’ on LinkedIn. You’ll easily get roughly over 800k results which you can sort through location, current company, or industry. So if you look us up, the search should come back with five accounts, connect with either Monika, Maja, Ljubica, Patrycja or Kasia.
- Make a brief and informative introduction. Let us know what’s the reason you’re connective with them. Share what type of roles you are interested in and in which locations. Keep it relevant.
- Keep your CV and candidate portfolio up-to-date and ready to share. The real first impression in a recruitment process is your CV, so make sure you’re selling your best self – no cheating! Check the spelling and make sure it is concise and ready to go go!
- Recruiters are no bots, treat them well! Real recruiters are like lionesses fighting for their candidates to get the best possible job. Keep it nice, drop a word of appreciation and a real beast will emerge. If you’re unresponsive and unprofessional, why would they stick out their necks for you?
- Don’t keep them waiting. It’s hard to break the news for you but you’re not the only one. Recruiters tend to have dozens of active candidates and they need to allocate enough time for each and every one of them to feel comfortable and have a smooth recruitment process. Answer as soon as possible, if you get back to them promptly it makes their job easier and proves your real interest in the role. It takes two to tango 🙂
- There’s some good guys and bad guys. Recruiters like any other professionals can be either good…or not so good at doing their job. Please, don’t go after the world’s whole population of recruiters because you have received an unsolicited job offer. It’s not every recruiter. It’s a compliment that someone is checking you out! Take the compliment and don’t rant on social media about it. You can unintentionally offend someone who keeps their hand on your dream job.
- It’s directly proportional. The more you get paid, the more recruiter receives for their well-done job. Simple as that, with a 10% commission and your contract for $70k a year, they get $7k commission. With the same percentage and your $90k a year it’s an additional $2k commission. So hey, it’s a common goal to get you signed at a higher rate. Cooperate closely, make sure you keep them in the loop, be transparent and give them anything they ask from you. It’s a win-win situation and we are in it together!
- There are more candidates that are after YOUR dream job. You don’t always get the first job you apply for. Don’t give up and if the cooperation with your recruiter was smooth – stick with them! No more painstaking application processes, filling out forms, writing cover letters or customizing your CVs, portfolios, and keeping track of the job market – they are there to assist you with that. Loyalty pays off!
- Recruiters have a good memory. But usually remembering extreme cases – both good and bad. If you got a job with recruiters help, they’ll most likely keep an eye on you and reach out a few years down the road with a new offer when you’re ready for a change. Keep in touch with your recruiters – such relationships are a real asset.
- Recruiters are residents of the world. Take us – 8Bit – we’re located in Poland and hiring all over the globe. Either you’re looking for a new gig in anywhere in Europe, across the pond in NY and beyond the International Date Line in China or Hong Kong – we’re your goto people. Our recruiters know how to talk to people and create long-lasting relationships. They know all the cultural differences and can use them to mutual benefit. Just trust them and let them do their job!
We hope the above helps! We will always strive to get you a better deal. Let’s all carry on being best what’s in humans, let’s be organised and courteous to each other and we’ll both benefit from this relationship.